Board of Directors
Board Member Responsibilities
As a cooperative business, Food Front is overseen by a Board of Directors elected directly by its Owners. The Board represents the Owners. It creates a vision for co-op alignment with the International Cooperative Alliance Statement of Cooperative Identity and provides the co-op with strategic leadership. The Board ensures sound management of the co-op’s resources and safeguards the interests of our Owners. The Board is not involved in the daily operations of either store.
- Hires, supervises, and evaluates the co-op’s General Manager.
- Sets acceptable guidelines for store operations and monitors the results through a policy governance process.
- Sets long-range goals and makes strategic decisions about the co-op’s future.
- Approves capital and operating budgets.
- Recruits new directors to ensure a well-qualified Board of Directors.
Duties as a Board Member
- Exercise Care – Use the same good judgment that an ordinarily prudent person in a similar position would use in similar circumstances.
- Demonstrate Loyalty – Put the cooperative before your own personal interests and act in good faith in your dealings with Food Front Co-op.
- Demonstrate Obedience – Strive to follow the co-op’s articles of incorporation, Bylaws and all laws and regulations that apply to the business.
- Attend monthly Board meetings and annual full-day retreat.
- Prepare for each Board meeting by reading the agenda packet and completing Board monitoring and linkage assignments.
- Serve on committees and Board projects as needed.
- Attend Board orientation and training.
- Active Food Front Cooperative Owner.
- Dedicated to the Mission of Food Front Cooperative.
- Commitment of a minimum of 7-10 hours of volunteer service per month for a three-year term.
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated teamwork and enthusiasm for learning.
- Volunteer experience.
- Business management experience.
- Financial experience.
- Collaborative decision making skills.
- Long-term planning experience.
- Leadership and facilitation skills.
- Cooperative experience.
- Seeks out and shares professional development/training opportunities with other Board Members.
At the discretion of the Board and Owners, Board Members may receive nominal remuneration in exchange for their volunteer services. Training, travel, and professional development opportunities are regularly available.
- Joy Orevik, President
- Jennifer Olsen, Vice President
- Daniel LoFaro, Treasurer & Secretary
- Ted Coonfield , Board Member
- David Hawkins, Board Member
Every fall, co-op Owners elect candidates to the co-op’s Board of Directors. Voting in Board elections ensures that the co-op’s development is compatible with your vision. For more information on Board elections, call 503-222-5658 x133 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in serving on Food Front's Board of Directors? We encourage all co-op owners interested in the governance of Food Front to apply to become a member of the Board. The first step is to attend a Board meeting and talk with the Nominations Committee chair to learn more about the application and election process. Serving on the Board is a great way to connect with other passionate co-op leaders! We collaborate and cooperate to lead Food Front into the future, enjoy serving co-op owners, and participate in various Board development activities. For further information, please contact:
Board of Directors
Food Front Cooperative Grocery
2375 NW Thurman Street
Portland, OR 97210
Phone: 503-222-5658 x300